Tuesday, April 17, 2012

This whole house

Suffice it to say that it's difficult to start writing again after a 2 week hiatus.  I didn't take a grand vacation or anything. It's just that life got in the way of writing.


Here is some of the work underway:


Replacing a broken concrete slab in the driveway



Kitchen artwork in search of  a new home


Temporary home for the artwork
Why we hire painters...





Empty, painted dining room

Old kitchen cabinet hardware...is that a Batman style?






Sleek new kitchen cabinet hardware




Pictures tell the story of bright, shiny and new.  It is great to be making progress!  But as we pack, remove the artwork, get the house painted, change out lights and cabinet hardware, I am somewhat saddened that all of this work is for someone else.  As Mike says, we are learning a lot that we can use at our house in Indy.   Or as our friend Roby mentioned during dinner this past week, maybe we will start flipping houses...  Now that is a scary thought!

I’ve had some great times with friends this week including a fun girls night out with Cindy, Joleen, Tracy and Adrienne.   Lots of laughter and stories were a welcome relief from house stuff.  Work inevitably comes up in these conversations with friends, and although my experiences are now dated, I can still relate to the some of the challenges.  I do not miss working , but it is strange to be hearing about work from the sidelines.  

“This whole house” is Mike’s less than endearing phrase about the sheer volume of work with this house.  It is an exhausting time, and definitely not the fun and relaxation you might expect of retirement.  But during the hours and days of bubble wrapping and packing, I've had a lot of time to think.  Maybe this work is giving me the time I need to think through and assimilate all of these life-changing events (ok to name a few: retirement, selling a house, moving to a new city and living with a spouse 24x7).  Although I am possibly overly analytical (and I can hear the laughter now) I understand that adjusting to these changes is getting me ready to move into the next new chapter.  

And the work continues...


Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment