Sunday, February 12, 2012

Building and shredding


Well, we've been back in Iowa 5 days now, and we are seeing major progress on my house.  We have been very focused this week, working from the time we get up until 7 or 8 or later each night.  I think we are getting in a groove of working together which basically means Mike works on his stuff, and I work on my own tasks.  Somehow it's better this way...


After taking some ribbing from Mike about all of my "to do" lists shortly after I retired, he has finally seen the light!  Yesterday he created his own "to do" list to keep track of steps in building a wall.  As you might imagine, I HAD to get a picture.


It's great when a plan comes together. From the diagrams to the framing, Mike has done a great job putting this "corner-piece"wall assembly together.   After several days of hard work, and an unexpected trip to the emergency care center for a tetanus shot, this work will be finished tonight!  And just in time before the drywall work tomorrow.



I got to tag along on several trips to Lowe's to buy 2x4's, 2x6's, nails, screws and Gorilla Glue.  I really enjoy learning about construction materials and how they are used.  Plus I'm learning how to pick out straight boards!

My work this week was very mundane.  I cleaned a couple of clothes closets and got rid of lots of stuff.  I took several large bags of casual clothes and shoes to Goodwill.  I still have work clothes and handbag to donate, and thanks to information from my friend Ruth, I am checking into donating to a couple of organizations that help women find jobs.  Of course I kept some of my work attire, just in case...

I spent 2 days going through all my files and shredding documents.  I always envied people who purged old records each year, but I never found time to be that orderly.  My file cabinet was packed, and I was buried in documents including debit card receipts going back several years and bank statements going back more years than I care to admit.


 Wanting to recycle the shredded paper, I decided to use leaf bags instead of grocery bags.  These large leaf bags were much easier to handle.  I am embarrassed to say that I filled 3 large leaf bags with shredded paper, and I have no idea how all of that paper ever fit in my small file cabinet.  What else can I say?


And then there comes a time when you just hit the wall.  I needed a break today and went for a wonderful afternoon walk.  I  felt like I had the world to myself; maybe the cold weather kept everyone inside today.  I love to bake, and I also found some time for baking today.  In the past baking was often stress relief, but today it was just plain fun!  We plan to celebrate completion of the wall with some of these treats!
 


Happy Valentine's Day!
Diane





No comments:

Post a Comment