Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Holiday musings...

Happy New Year!

Mike and I enjoyed a quiet New Year's Eve and a busy New Year's Day which is the opposite of our usual plans.  Recovering from a frightful head cold, I didn't have the energy to attend a friend's New Year's Eve party.  Instead we nestled at home, making a pot of potato soup and playing Scrabble.  I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that  after winning a game shortly before midnight, I declined a rematch so I could end the year on a winning note!

Front wheel off the ground. Gotta love it!
And this afternoon we enjoyed Indy's annual auto show.  We aren't really in the market for a new car, but we enjoy cars.

The highlight was Camp Jeep where we got to ride in a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as it traversed various obstacles including ramps, logs and a 30 degree hill that was 13 feet high.  It was a blast!  Makes us want to sign up for another Jeep trip in 2013.





Even though the holidays are ending,  my mind wanders over those special, funny  and crazy moments of the past month...

It was a great musical holiday with Mike playing piano at several events.  Mom told us about song her dad played on piano when she was a small girl, and after finding the sheet music on the Internet,  Mike played the song for her.  It was a moment I'll never forget...

In November I described my "graceful" fall on a hickory nut.  Well, last week I finally got an answer on why it was still hurting 6 weeks later.  It was actually a fracture of the elbow radial head, which showed up on last week's x-ray.  It will take 3-4 months to heal, and there's a lot more physical therapy in my future.  But you know, now that I have an explanation of why it still hurts, I don't feel crazy (just  klutzy)!

At our local bagel shop, "Gino's table" is reserved for a group of men who get together regularly for breakfast and coffee. Well, one of the regulars at this table is our Catholic priest.   Last week while eating our bagels, we overhead the men anxiously awaiting the priest to show up so they could give him a Christmas gift:  a calendar of the new Pope.  Somehow that just made us smile...

I learned about new kitchen gadgets from potato chip makers(which don't work so well) to "chargers" which I don't totally understand.  Basically a charger is a large plate that you set under your dinner plate.  They look cool, and I'm guessing they may be designed to protect your table from a hot plate, but I'm not really sure...

My friend's college-age son sent me a copy of a screenplay he wrote.  I was very impressed at his writing, and I was honored to read it.  He is currently making it into a short film.   I think he is very talented, and maybe we will someday see his work at Sundance...

On New Year's Eve day we stopped at Walgreen's to pick a few things, and I tried NOT TO SMILE  at the  young man ahead of us in line.  He was buying tooth whitener toothpaste, mouthwash and condoms.  I just loved his optimism...

I made some Christmas gifts this year, and I was thrilled to watch people opening the gifts.  People seemed delighted and surprised (which I hope this was about the gifts and not surprise that I actually made them).
  • Small handbag

    Coin purse

    My version of "industrial chic" jewelry 





    The best moments of the holidays were those with family and friends.  We were fortunate to get together with the important people in our lives (though I am a bit homesick for my Iowa friends)...

    Mike has a resolution of doing a better job of opening doors for me (which I'm not sure he ever did before).  I could definitely get used to this ...
I wish you health and happiness in the new year.  I am so grateful for all of you who read this blog.  I am finding my way as a writer, and this blog has been such an important outlet for my thoughts about retirement.  Thanks for your interest in my little corner of the world.



Our "tradition"of getting donuts after a snowstorm...
And as we head into another winter snowstorm tonight, visions of donuts dance through my head...

Have a great weekend! Diane





2 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet New Year's resolution, to open more doors for you. Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how he came up with this resolution, but I love it! He is a great guy!

      Delete