Sunday, November 11, 2012

Ordinary days

Of course there are ordinary days too...

Most of them revolve around making this "our house" which requires compromise, creativity, communication and humor.

Lately Mike's favorite phrases are "putting 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound house" and "it's no longer my house".  But we keep plugging away, moving boxes out of storage and into the house.  And yes, there's a lot of give and take along the way.

And guitars are everywhere

Guest room
My furniture occupies the guest room, and Mike's furniture completes the dining room.












Mike and I spent an afternoon hanging my photos in the upstairs hallway.  Somehow seeing these photos each day really makes me feel at home.









Finally we were ready to move my clothes into the house.  For the first time in over a year, I would have all my clothes in one place.  


Of course we had to share the master bedroom closet which was full of Mike's clothes!
Storage unit evolving
  
Staging my clothes in the garage


























I'm sure there was a look of pure shock on my face when Mike answered "never" to my question about when he last sorted through his clothes and got rid of those he didn't want.  Although this surprised me at the time, I'm concluding that men just don't pay that much attention to closets or what clothes occupy them.  A basic difference from women...

Here are just a few of the things Mike found in his closet...and I'm surprised you couldn't hear me laughing hysterically.  Ok, some of this is finding it's way into the costume bin...

Keep this vest?
Why not?

Sherlock Mike?

But we made it, and my clothes are in one place.  And the sheer volume of clothes at the local Goodwill increased tremendously! 



But there is more to life than unpacking boxes and making room for stuff...

We attended a great dinner at the Indianapolis Zoo where we learned about their conservation work in far away places like Namibia and Russia.

Yesterday we watched my nephew Adam run in a state cross country meet.  Despite some back pain, he finished 11th out of 50 runners which qualified him for a regional meet in Chicago next weekend. We are really proud of him!

And today we attended a great Veterans Day concert by the Indiana Wind Symphony.  Our friend John plays percussion, and he did a great job on the drums during Sousa marches and other patriotic songs. 

And during his "free time", Mike is researching cable and satellite TV.  Possibly my influence here... 

And I am working on some Christmas projects.  

And if I get really bored, I'm reading the Indiana Driver's Manual.  Nothing like having to take the written driver's test after 40 years of driving experience.  Ok, despite my whining, I am actually learning a few things about Indiana laws...

Have a great week!
Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment