Sunday, July 22, 2012

Ups and downs

It is amazing how things can change in an instant.  At least this is how our life seems to go…

We started out with a fun evening on Mass Ave. which is a little area near downtown Indy with lots of great shops and restaurants.

The guys were getting together for their monthly BNO (boys night out).
Chuck, Pat and Mike

While the guys were doing their thing, Melanie and I did a bit of shopping and ended up at this great new restaurant, MESH.

It was one of those 100 degree days, and we decided on a light meal of appetizers.  We had a very interesting dish of watermelon chunks and heirloom tomatoes with small chunks of Maytag blue cheese.  This was an excellent combination of really weird foods together!  We also shared a wonderful mushroom puff pastry and salad.

Enjoying dinner with Melanie at Mesh

After dinner we met up with  Mike and Chuck and  enjoyed the sights and sounds of Mass Ave.


Flower in shop window

Reflection in toy shop window


Mike and I headed home the back way and enjoyed a beautiful evening sky.
Industry and clouds on South Street

When we got home, we decided to watch the news in my study and enjoy some wonderful Magnum ice cream bars.  As we were settling in, I went downstairs for a glass of ice water, and heard this blood curdling scream from the study.  Racing upstairs I came upon a terrible scene of Mike’s big toenail almost torn off his toe.  He was pulling an ottoman back to the chair, and it caught on his toenail. 

After hours of waiting in a bed in the hallway, we finally got a room and saw a doctor who advised they would deaden the toe and remove part of the nail.  Only Mike would maintain his sense of humor in this situation...

"Not fun" in the E.R.

Against my better judgment, but being the “good wife” I am, I stayed in the room with Mike during the cocktail shots of lidocaine and some other “caine” into his toe.  The nurse warned this was going to hurt a lot, and judging from Mike’s expressions and sounds, it hurt like hell.  But the shots worked as he could not feel most of the toenail being cut off.   The doctor sent us on our way with Mike’s toe wrapped up,  a couple of vicodin in him and instructions to see a podiatrist the next day for some additional trimming as the hospital didn’t have all the right instruments (instruments of torture is what I was thinking).  We arrived home around 3:30 a.m. confirming my long held view that nothing good ever happens in the early hours of the morning. 

We stayed in Indy a couple of extra days for Mike to recover and visit a podiatrist.  I knew he was feeling better when he wore his Life is Crap t-shirt to the podiatrist!  The visit went well with NO SHOTS, some additional trimming of the nail and a very encouraging prognosis that the nail would grow back.  
The delay caused us to reschedule a few things at my house:  installation of bathroom counter top, St. Vincent dePaul picking up a bed we were donating and obtaining an estimate of costs to move my furniture and more boxes.

Then things changed abruptly again.  During our last night in Indy we received a very good offer on the house.  We accepted the offer and are on our way to selling my house!  YEAH!!!  Staying up until 1:30 a.m. we reviewed, signed and returned documents to the realtor.  We are elated at selling the house which is what we've been working for since I retired last October.  Assuming all goes according to plan (and my experience says it's never quite that easy), we should close around Labor Day!  

As we drove back to DM, everything felt  different.  The showings (and ridiculous cleaning) are done.   The 15 hour days are hopefully coming to an end.  We can now focus on packing instead of remodeling.  We began to envision the future including building Mike's new man cave and having more time for family, friends and hobbies!

Ah, yes…Life is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment